I’ve been meaning to post this for awhile! Back in June, I participated on a health activist panel for Wego Health with three other migraine health activists. Here are some things we came up with that we, as migraine health activists want you to know (compiled by Wego health!!)
- 1) Migraines are not just headaches! They affect your whole body! Plus, every person’s experience is different, and every migraine is different from the last one.
- 2) Migraineurs are often seen as drug seekers by emergency room staff and physicians. (This is so annoying). This is part of the stigma associated with invisible illness: people just not believing us when we say we are sick!
- 3) Pain is pain. Chronic pain communities need to accept and support each other instead of trying to “one up” each other’s pain stories!
- 4) There’s a lot that’s unknown about migraines, and there’s no cure. There are many causes and triggers, and they are different for each person.
- 5) The virtual migraine community is incredibly open and accepting! Join us on Twitter, Facebook, and of course Tumblr!
According to Wego Health…
- Migraine health activists participate in 5-6 main online communities
- 73% participate weekly or more; 46% participate daily or more!
How often do you participate in the virtual migraine/pain community? What has your experience been like?